The University of Prince Edward Island, through the Centre for Life-Long Learning, is seeking a Youth Worker for its 2013 Summer Explore program. The Summer Explore program is a five week English as an Additional Language (EAL) Program that hosts Canadian and International students who are 16 and 17 years of age. Explore consists of formal EAL classes during weekday mornings and organized socio-cultural activities during weekday evenings and weekends. Participants also live in residence on campus and eat together at the cafeteria.
• Counsel students regarding personal and social issues such as homesickness, depression, sexuality, self-esteem, relationship skills, and interpersonal skills.
• Assist with mediation of student conflicts
• Liaise with co-workers and program coordinators regarding students.
• Be an active member of the staff team
• Be willing to work flexible hours, weekdays and weekends
• Be willing to live in residence at the UPEI
• Other tasks as directed by the Program Coordinator
• Diploma, Child and Youth Care Worker or Human Services or a Bachelor of Social Work, or equivalent experience
• Demonstrated counseling skills
• Crisis intervention training
• Experience developing and/or leading educational programming for teens
• Knowledge of culture shock and demonstrated methods for assisting those coping with it
• Demonstrated leadership and experience working with teens
• Verbal fluency in French and English
• Creativity and reliability
• Proven decision making ability
• Ability to work independently and with a team