The University of Prince Edward Island seeks an experienced, highly organized, motivated individual possessing a positive attitude and excellent communication skills to fill the permanent full-time role of Executive Assistant to the Office of the President. Reporting to the President, this position works in a team-oriented, high-volume office characterized by multiple and competing demands and strict deadlines.
• Develop and coordinate the President’s calendar of appointments, meetings, social engagements, for University and community functions with individuals and groups.
• Provide assistance to the President when dealing with issues from internal and external constituents by evaluating the validity and urgency of the inquiry, researching background information, presenting options and preparing responses as directed by the President.
• Receive visitors/appointments and respond to phone calls.
• Respond to inquiries from various groups (e.g., students, parents, faculty, staff, legislators, alumni, the media, and public and private officials), by providing accurate information, referring inquiries or problems to the appropriate office or person, resolving problems, and following up to ensure satisfaction.
• Serve as a liaison between the President and other University administrators, Board of Governors, public and private officials, various boards, faculty, staff, students, by communicating and distributing information and documents issued by the University
• Maintain confidentiality by exercising discretion in handling administrative records, file, and similar confidential items and communicating information to faculty, students, staff and the various groups served by the University.
• Assist the President by reviewing, monitoring, and routing University personnel forms and reviewing correspondence and documents prepared by other offices for the President’s signature.
• Serve as event coordinator for various functions of the Office of the President by scheduling events with appropriate agencies, by advising/contacting participants or invited guests, preparing agendas and programs, arranging food service and room bookings.
• Serve as liaison between the President and Vice-Presidents by assisting in the development and distribution of bi-weekly agendas and attachments to Vice-Presidents and their administrative assistants.
• Facilitate efficient and cost-effective official travel for the President and other official visitors by making travel arrangements, preparing forms and expense reports for travellers.
• Provide information for reports through research, data retrieval, gathering of statistics and organizing and presenting the information in a useable and understandable format.
• Assist with development and management of the budgets under the control of the Office of the President including maintenance of budget records, reconciliation and verification of receipts, and completion of financial forms using the University’s Management Information System
• Responsible for the operation of the office filing system; creating files and records as necessary using judgment and knowledge of office requirements and updates files and records as required.
• Other duties as may be assigned.
• Bachelor Degree in an appropriate field with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience in a senior administrative support role
• Previous experience in an academic post secondary environment including a familiarity with a management information system would be an asset
• Exceptional computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Macintosh and PC-based computer applications and strong internet research skills
• Experience with VRE (Virtual Research Environment) would be an asset
• Excellent organizational and demonstrated time management skills
• Effective communication skills; must have excellent knowledge of grammar and composition with strong attention to detail
• Exemplary interpersonal skills with the ability to work as a team player in a dynamic, changing environment with shifting priorities, and frequent interruptions
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative and anticipate future needs, issues and events
• Proven problem-solving abilities
• Experience in working in a confidential office environment with the demonstrated ability of using sound judgment, tact, discretion and professional integrity