The Department of Biomedical Science invites applications for the position of a Neuroscience Research Technician, funded by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research and Innovation PEI.
The successful candidate will provide laboratory and related services for various protocols and general operations in a research environment focused on neurodegenerative disorders. The project involves the study of adult neurogenesis and its potential application in a rodent model of Alzheimer's disease. The incumbent will work closely with the principal investigator in delivery of the research project, "The Neurorestorative Potential of Cholinergic Activation in AD". Tasks will involve, but are not limited to, rodent surgery and care, cognitive testing, necropsy, histology, imaging, and general laboratory administration.
The successful candidate will possess:
• the minimum of a BSc, majoring in Biology, Psychology, Neuroscience or other relevant field
• a Medical Laboratory Technologist designation would be an asset
• the minimum of 2 years laboratory experience in the areas of histology and/or microscopy
• experience in rodent handling
The successful candidate must:
• be proficient with general computer software programs, i.e., word processing and spreadsheet applications
• demonstrate good oral and written communication skills
• be prepared to work with minimal supervision
• be able to work both independently and as a member of a team
• be able and willing to learn and adapt to new techniques